02 January 2015

Magnus vs. the Hustlers

This clip looks to be a few years old, but I had never seen it before. Magnus said,

Espen [Agdestein; FM; FIDE 2372] is not a bad player, but he got completely crushed. I needed to restore the honor of Norwegians.

Original source unknown.


Magnus Carlsen Destroys NY Street Chess Hustlers (1:47) • 'They had no idea who he was.'

***

Later: In a comment to this post, Macauley Peterson of chess24.com gave details on the original source of the Youtube clip. He also provided two links:-

Although it's been less than a day since I posted the link to the video, the post has received more than ten times the views I normally get on the first day of a new post. I'm baffled!

1 comment:

Macauley Peterson, ChessBase.com said...

This clip (posted without permission by the way) is from the 2013 VG short film Last Big Title. Unfortunately the original is no longer online, but you can read about it here: https://chess24.com/en/read/news/norwegian-national-tv-networks-vying-for-chess-broadcast-rights and also http://en.chessbase.com/post/documentary-magnus-carlsen-s-last-big-title). The short film was a precursor to a feature documentary currently in production for which I'm an Associate Producer.

The original 2009 footage is mine. After visiting Washington Sq. part I took Magnus and Liv Tyler to the Marshall Chess Club.